Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I can't believe it's been a whole week!

It's been such a long week in some ways and really short in others. Teaching Valkyrie to sleep through the night has been the hardest, and I'm pretty sure I'm not done yet. The first night was awful! I moved to the futon so she could sleep on the bed with me when she cried non stop for 15 to 20 minutes. Once at the futon she continued to cry for about 10 minutes every hour. At 1:00 in the morning she pooped in her crate and 15 minutes later she had diarrhea outside. I spent until about 2 in the morning trying to clean the crate and her, she had managed to get poo all over herself. Then mom had to get up and go to work, so we switched to her bed. In total I got maybe a solid hour of sleep the first night.
The second night was better, she'd only cry for 5 to 10 minutes and I managed to get 4 straight hours of sleep. The third better still, she only woke me up twice. However, Saturday night was AWFUL! One it was my birthday so any decent being would be nice to me, but no, Valkyrie had to bark ALL night long! That was very discouraging after the good night the night before. I honestly can't remember Sunday night, so it must not have been too bad. Monday I was up twice, but she had diarrhea so I didn't mind that much. But last night was the best, she slept all night long! I went to sleep around ten and when I woke up I looked at the clock thinking it would say 1:00 AM or something, but it was 6 in the morning!

What has she learned this week?
She's really got the circling for relieving down and never has a problem going on concrete.
She's mostly getting the idea of not biting people.
She seems to be getting the idea that her name means something.
She sits and waits really well for her food. She did that from the first day.
She's taking really well to FIR, Food Induced Recall. We haven't practice that much because she's had diarrhea, so I don't want her regular food to upset her system.
She's been great on tie down since her very first day, no crying or struggling. But she will bark if you walk away for too long.
She learned how to play chase with Tazzi on Monday and it has been instrumental to keeping her exercised.

Things she still really needs to work on. I'm not going to include everything because she's just a baby and has a lot to learn, but things that are really annoying right now.
Not chasing the cat
Not licking incessantly
Not searching the kitchen floor for food
NOT GARBAGE MOUTHING IN THE YARD!!!! This one is driving me crazy!
Not jumping up on the x-pen
Not barking

The cat still does not like Valkyrie and takes every opportunity to tell her that. She'll walk right up to Valkyrie while she's sleeping and hiss in her face. I keep telling her that it really does no good because the puppy has no idea she's doing it, but the cat insists.

No comments:

Post a Comment